Software Raid not autodetected with bsd disklabel

Hello -
I set up a software raid-5 array on my as1200 running 2.4.21 custom
kernel.  I want to at least have / on the array - ideally I would like to
boot to the array - but if i partition the drives using bsd disklabels,
the array is not autodetected.  Using dos partitions, autodetect wrks
fine.  fdisk did not list a type fd for partitions.  It didn't list it,
but it didn't complain either when thats what I put for the type.
Perhaps this is the problem.
Anyone have any ideas?  And has anybody ever been able to boot to a raid
array?
Thank's,
Mike Campbell

--
  To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
  	-- Theodore Roosevelt