kernel 2.4.5 fails after boot due to ethernet! DE500-AA card

I have had trouble with each new version of the 2.4.x kernel on my
Debian/Alpha machine.  Now I know why it is failing, but I will need help to
fix it.

Quite by accident, the ethernet card was disabled from the .config after a
clean "make oldconfig" from a working 2.2.19 kernel.  This worked fine
without any problems.  However, I quickly realized that there was no ethernet
card enabled.

The machine has a Digitial Fast Etherworks DE500-AA network card.  The 2.2.19
kernel config selects the "Generic DECchip & Digital Etherworks" selection
and works great.  However, this selection with any 2.4.x kernel (now I know)
fails (after a period of time).   I have also tried the "DECchip Tulip" and
"DEPCA, DE..." selections.  The tulip card also works for a period of time,
but fails.  DEPCA doesn't work at all (so it never causes the system to fail
and crash).  Yes, the system fails with a hard crash which causes a
file-system check on boot.  Fortunately, I have always recovered on the
reboot.

Also, I use the knfsd option.  Is this working for the Alpha ?  I think I may
have read where this could be a problem.  I also use automount.

Any help is appreciated

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory