Re: Configuration frontend

Previously Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:
>   o Changing packages to interface to a configuration layer rather
> than just the user.
>
>   This one is fairly simple, right? Does anyone have a problem with
> dpkg-question or dpkg-config or whatever being used to do *all* user
> interaction? Is there any situation that cannot be covered by the use
> of 'dpkg-config variablename' and arbitrary data about variablename
> being provided elsewhere?

Wrong. dpkg-question is evil in that it only allows you to answer a
single question at a time. That is silly of course, and it makes lots of
sense to group questions together and ask them all at once in a single
screen/dialog/webpage/whatever.

Also another *very* important aspect is that we can change the degree of
interactivity of the install. Did you see how many people were
complaining on debian-devel a while ago about all the interactivity?
It's really horrible if you are managing things like clusters or
labrooms. Most users also don't care about most questions.

>   o Making a more flexible configuration language that will simplify
> the task of making configuration scripts.

That isn't planned at all.

>   I have a certain amount of experience with jumping headlong into
> huge projects.

We started this discussion back in may actually, so you can't say we're
jumping into this..

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl