Configuration frontend

Has there been any talk of a central configuration frontend? I was thinking
it'd be really nice to have something where each package registers a script,
similiar to how the menu system works.

The script would tell the frontend all the "variables" it has for lack of a
better name, the data types for each var (ip address, string, number etc),
default values and the valid range. You then modify them in the
configuration  manager, their could two frontends to it at least, one gtk
based and one console based (slang?). Then the program passes the var back
to the script and the script could possibly report invalid values back,
if all goes well it writes the confdata back to the file. Could there
could be an "apply" command to write the conffile and restart the daemon?

The generated config files should be easy to edit by hand, it shouldn't
be dependent on storing some codes in comments for the script to parse or
anything like that.

Just an idea, please let me know what you think. I need some input before I
start coding on this.

--
Stephen Crowley                 crow@debian.org, stephenc@wf.net
-* Finger crow@va.debian.org for my public key.	PGP#22714B25  *-