Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 04:02:10PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Did you follow the discussions we had a while ago? Multiple levels of
> interactivity is something that a lot of people want.

First step first. I think this is not much work to do.

> > But you need a database for it. And it is not as flexible.
>
> You need a database anyway, since you have to store the results from the
> configuration-stage until the other maintainer scripts need them.

I do not oppose having a database. But we should not specifiy how this
database has to look (gdbm, ascii, config-tree, network-repository) but an
interface for developers. The interface should be designed for extensibility.

The only reason I am working on this (okay, discussing it actually ;)) is
because I had to install Linux (SuSE, sadly) on about 20 PCs in university. It
would be great if I could store the configuration options on the server and
automagically configure the clients while installing the system. You can't do
that with SuSE (dumb YaST) and you can't do it (easily) with Debian, too.

We need to get something working fast but we also need to use a well thought
out approach.

cu
    Torsten