Re: list of goals?

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 04:42:12PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 02:19:35AM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > 1. Identifier
> >     We should think about some kind of path as the identifier as
> >      Internet/Mail/Smarthost
> >     so we implement a program which can generate an appropriate database.
>
> How about something more like:
>
> 	mail-transport-agent/smarthost
> and	exim/realtime-blocking-list

<snip>

I don't like the idea of tying configuration options to packages.  We should
just have entries like:

smarthost - <whatever>
use-realtime-blocking-list - <y/n>

(note that I'm not proposing this storage format, just what it represents)

That way any package that wants to know the smarthost, or whether this machine
uses the realtime blocking list can find out.  I would like to see a database
which has an awfull lot of these sort of entries for all the normal things you
need to know on a linux system - plus a way to add more entries if required
(ie by package xxx that needs some unheard of config option - ie gv running in
color of b/w, etc.)  If options are really specific to a particular package,
then sure, call it ghostview-color, but there is still no need to tie this to
the ghostview package.  (another note - I have no idea if ghostview has this
option or not - just making up an example).

Rgrds,

Chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)   ....Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5