Re: list of goals?

Le Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 02:21:53AM +0100, Torsten Landschoff écrivait:
> I do not like the idea to have a fixed database. That's not Unix style. And of
> course that is not the goal. It's another implementation detail.

Why not ? I think that the database is useful, I dislike the idea of cookies
that are generated... With the database you can easily change many things
using queries or little scripts, but with the cookies system, this won't
go. And an expect script will fail if the strings displayed change
beetween two versions but a database configuration won't have this problem
because the key will not have changed. And what about the day where
postinst will be internationalized ?

We do need a configuration database in order to achieve our goal. However
i'm pretty against using it as windows-like registry. And it cannot be a
windows-like registry because it won't manage per-user configuration which
is much used by Unix softwares.

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël ¤ 0C4CABF1 ¤ http://www.mygale.org/~hra/