Re: Old stuff

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 11:14:42PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Would it be possible to include, say, an archive of all packages
> > config.tar.gz's (which would presumably not be overly large) download
> > that, select the packages you want to install, and then download all
> > the .debs.
> No, since you should always be able to download a .deb and install that
> without any seperate files. And you can never get an archive of
> config-stuff up-to-date; see how Packages-files on mirrors are often out
> of synch for an example.

The theory was more that it would be an extra copy of the config
information rather than the only copy, and that configuration details
would be unlikely to change importantly between revisions, so it wouldn't
matter too much if it wasn't completely up to date.

This is only really useful for people w/ modems on the net, for whom
"getting all the debs" is a long and painful process better left
overnight. (on the assumption that

	wait a minute or five; select packages, configure, interact;
		wait an hour or five

is better than

	select packages; wait an hour or two; configure; wait an hour
	or two
)

> > Is this avoidable? Will things become really ungainly if the package
> > has to be configured *before* being unpacked (or *anything* other than
> > the base system is unpacked)? This still leaves us with sed and mawk,
> > but drops out flex, bison, and stuff like that.
> I have yet to see a package needing flex or bison to configure itself..

Ditto. So would it be reasonable for config-scripts to be guaranteed
the base system, the configuration tool and nothing else (not even
pre-depends)?

> > Are there any example scripts available?
> No :)

It might be nice to have, say, some of the MTA postinsts done up as an
example for discussion of each of the various ideas floating around.

Cheers,
aj