Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

Previously Mitch Blevins wrote:
> 1) The downloader -
>    This is the user who gets his/her updates over the Net and just wants
>    to be able to run apt-get, then go to a movie, and come back with
>    everything done, except for the few configuration questions that
>    need answering.  For this user, having the configuration done before
>    installation doesn't make sense because the package won't be there
>    until after the download, which would split the upgrade into two cycles.

Indeed. Configuring before downloading is impossible for various
reasons. You can do two things: either configure before the package is
unpacked, or after it is installed. I would prefer the first for various
reasons: you can make decisions on the preinst if needed and you can
configure everything once and install simultaniously on multiple
machines.

With a cluster you then get:

                                / -- <machine 1 installs>
  DOWNLOAD <wait1> CONFIGURE --|---- <machine 2 installs>
                                \ -- <machine 3 installs>

> -Mitch
> (who is proud to now have posted 100% of the traffic to this list
> for the month of December)

Not for me, I copied all earlier messages on this topic to this folder :)

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl