Re: Please help with accessibility of accessibility :)

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> writes:

> To give a example, bug #725290 is about emacspeak having to upgrade from
> tcl 8.4 to tcl 8.5 or 8.6.  The reporter could easily make sure that it
> built fine, but he didn't know how to check that it actually *works*
> fine.
>
> And that's where users here on this list could be very helpful, without
> any technical knowledge:
>
> Could people please, for each accessibility package, provide testing
> scenarii?
>
> For instance, in the mbrola-fr4 package, I have added a small
> README.Debian file containing essentially the following line:
>
> mbrola /usr/share/mbrola/fr4/fr4 /usr/share/doc/mbrola-fr4/examples/hier.pho -.au | play -t .au -
>
> which is indeed about all one needs to do in order to check that
> things are working fine in the package.  Ideally we'd have such kind
> of documentation in each and every accessibility package, it is just a
> matter of writing it.  For emacspeak for instance, I'm not able to help
> on the bug either, because I have no idea how one works with emacspeak,
> so I'd need a very small documentation which would probably tell me
> which emacs commands I have to type to start emacspeak, and what I
> am supposed to hear, when, and when doing what.

Running emacspeak is actually simpler then you might think.

Simply run "emacspeak" from the command-line, and wait for it to talk to
you.  If you have choosen the "espeak" speech backend during package
configuration and your ALSA setup is working, emacspeak should talk to
you right away with a welcome message something like "Press C-h C-e to
get an overview of Emacspeak 38.0.  Revision unknown.  I am completely
operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."

At leats thats what the current version in unstable does for me.

If you are familiar with Emacs, just use it a bit and listen to what you
get as feedback from the speech synthesizer.  If you are not familiar
with Emacs, learn it, or exit with C-x C-e (Ctrl+x followed by Ctrl+c)
(you will need to confirm exiting since the emacspeak speech server
process is an active task and emacs prefers to ask you if you really
want to kill it implicitly by exiting.)

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>