Re: GCC -pie patch (kinda) ....

Wow, impressive. Nice job on tracking that down; saved me the work. The patch will have to be backported to the current version of binutils in unstable, and maybe proposed-updates once we get that far. I suspected it was a linker script problem; once you have the final version done, I'll submit it against the binutils package.
Michael

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:

Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:00:39 +0100 (CET)
From: Michael Schmitz <schmitz@onyx.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: Joseph S. Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com>
Cc: Michael Casadevall <sonicmctails@gmail.com>, debian-68k@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: GCC -pie patch (kinda) ....

elf-init.c:(.text+0x6e): undefined reference to `__fini_array_end'
elf-init.c:(.text+0x76): undefined reference to `__fini_array_start'
elf-init.c:(.text+0x8a): undefined reference to `__fini_array_start'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

These errors generally (on whatever ELF platform you encounter them)
indicate a linker script problem, since these symbols are meant to be
defined by a linker script.  In this case, a missing linker script, patch:
<http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2008-03/msg00006.html>.

Thanks for tracking this down!

Should not distract us from TLS, though. The plan was to backport TLS
support from the coldfire port, right? Is there anything to look at, yet?