Re: Installing Etch on A1200 with blizzard 1230mkIV

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:58:21PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> I don't think you should gunzip the initrd, amiboot does nothing with it, it
> just passes it as an argument to the kernel and the kernel takes care of it.

Ok. I tried unpacking it out of desperation.

> > 5> amiboot -d -k vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-amiga -r initrd root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=15000 debian-installer/framebuffer=false video=amifb:pal-lace debug=mem
> [...]
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > ram0: rw=0, want=120008, limit=30000
>
> This is a sign that the initrd is too big or the ramdisk_size you picked is
> too small, or both. I would try with the compressed initrd, and if that does
> not work, increase the ramdisk_size. It seems it has been increased already
> compared to sarge, I don't think it needs to be larger, for compressed
> initrds. If you use the uncompressed initrd, you might not have enough
> memory, even though you have 64MB.

I've moved again to trying to boot with the gzipped initrd.gz. I've
tried ramdisk_size=15000, 20000, even 48000. It does always fail with
that same error.

I've also done a lot of tests with the ROMMAP feature of the blizzard 1230mkIV
card, enabled and disabled, because I didn't know what else to try. Didn't
help, either.

Each and every time the error is the same. The initrd image gets
corrupted.

> Christian
>
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/etch/
Found the dmesg tool there, btw :)

--
- Do you study theories? - Oh yes! Theories are fun. - How do you use them? - When I must act, theories are too slow. To act, I must know.