Re: [linux-mac68k] Re: Results of trying 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 on Macintosh Quadra 650

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Erik C.J. Laan wrote:

> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Erik C.J. Laan wrote:
> >
> >>For both kernels I needed to set the segment count in the ELF header to
> >>2 using Finn Thain's perl pearl (;-) posted 14/6/2004 to debian-68k.
> >>Otherwise Penguin would fail with a backward seek error.
> >
> > Are you sure about that? Christian's image for the Amiga I tried during the
> > weekend didn't need this fix for Amiboot.
> >
> > And Amiboot does show the backward seek error on images I created myself with a
> > `new' binutils.
>
> Unfortunately yes I'm sure. First I'd only tried 2.6.7 and received the
> backward seek error. So I filtered both 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 through Finn
> perl-script and used those. Afterward I thought what if 2.6.8 wasn't
> broken to begin with. So I loaded the original 2.6.8 on my Mac
> partition, tried it and got the error. This is with the 2.6.8 kernel
> from Christian's site, extracted out of the
> kernel-image-2.6.8-mac_2.6.8-1_m68k.deb file.
>
> Sorry, Erik

I just checked out the amiga and mac kernel images and they do need fixing
(according to objdump -p, I don't have Amiboot). So, I guess Roman's patch
wasn't applied?

It would be good to see the patch tested more widely if that would help
get it into CVS. I've only tested the patch with binutils-2.15 (gcc 3.3.4
and 3.4.1) and it worked fine. It would be nice if it also fixed kernels
built with binutils-2.14.

-F