Re: Xf86 and fbdev, unresolved symbol

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 19:07, Sarah wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm trying to get X working on my A4000 (btw the woody install went fine,
> turns out it was prob with CD drive).
> I'm using fbdev. However X fails with the error:

The only solution I have found to running X on the Amiga is one that was
posted in the past.  If you extract the server from
xserver-fbdev_3.3.6-11potato32.deb and place it in /usr/X11R6/bin and
then link /etc/X to it and use the example configuration from the docs
for that server it works.

I extracted it like this;

dpkg -x xserver-fbdev_3.3.6-11potato32.deb /home/whatever

which gives you a usr directory under the home directory and then you
can go in there and get what you need.

It is the only solution I have found that works.  Use fvwm or twm for a
window manager, not the desktops kdm or gnome.  They'll really show you
how slow and low on ram a stock amiga 4000 is.  They run, but you'll get
gray hairs waiting on it.  Same for Mozilla.

--
Matthew P. Cummings
1974 Cessna 150L N10667