Re: d-i problem with Penguin-19.sit

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 12:55:52PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 12:35:04PM +0200, Kilian Krause wrote:

> > Now i'm somewhat lost with how to get the Penguin actually move. I've
> > checked the d-i manual at:
> > http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.m68k/index.html
>
> Never looked there, did anybody update that or is it identical to the woody
> manual?

I only looked at it close enough for obvious errors and build problems.
It's needs a fair amount more work.

> > i've tried with the Penguin-19 and vmlinuz-2.2.5-mac and
> > hd-media-initrd.gz which sounds close enough to "netinstall" for me. the
> > nativehd-initrd.gz obviously isn't what i want for a net-install, is it?
>
> I think I used nativehd on the amiga, since I had some base packages on the
> disk already. But that is not the problem here.

nativehd is a netinstall. hd-media is a cdrom-based installed that used
an iso image instead of an actual cdrom. I have that on my todo to go into
the manual somewhere.

> > So now i boot the penguin with the above vmlinuz and initrd.gz, but i
> > get a Kernel-panic cannot find root.. Hmm?! So how am i supposed to boot
> > the netinstall?
>
> Check the FAQ and add root=/dev/ram. And yes, this is already in the sarge
> FAQ:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/sarge/

You will also need ramdisk_size=13000.

<stephen@marenka.net>