Re: Atari Updates for d-i rc2

V Čt, 12. 08. 2004 v 14:11, Stephen R Marenka píše:
> > unfortunate thing with d-i is that users cannot change these bits easily
> > when the binary is hidden in floppy-boot.img.
>
> Hey, does that mean floppy-boot.img actually works? That would be good
> to know.

Well, I am the one that can't test it because of the header bits :-)

And when I asked my friends to test it I told them to download the
single bits (kernel, bootstrap, etc).

I'll try to ask them to test the *.img.

> We don't have a firm date, but it's supposed to be released by the end
> of the month. So anything going in had probably better already be
> working in the archive a week before that.

that's like 10 days of time. I'll try to modify the bootstrap to solve
the "Allocate from TT-RAM" problem and let it test by as many people as
possible.

> > If it's impossible to provide the clean fallback when bogl fails then I
> > am afraid we'd have to give up on the framebuffer altogether. Since
> > forcing the users to always install in monochrome mode (or truecolor)
> > might not be the best option... Or perhaps put all available manpower
> > into fixing bogl? Amiga users would be happy, too.
>
> I can't tell you what the right thing to do is. Probably this should be
> the last of the three.

I don't understand. You mean to fix the bogl better than adding a
fallback to d-i? I know how to do it but I don't have time. The bogl
needs to add a couple of routines: put_pixel, horizontal_line,
vertical_line, draw_character and something for mouse pointer. The code
could be taken from http://emutos.sf.net/ or from any of the free VDI
implementations (fVDI, oVDI) and some code is even in ARAnyM, I think.
Somebody experienced could put it together rather quickly. The question
is how to compile and test it? It's an udeb. I don't have any experience
with that.

Petr