Re: kernel-image-2.6.7

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Anthony J. Stuckey wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:31:26AM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just uploaded some 2.6.7 kernel-images to
> > http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/
> >
> > They were cross-compiled and I did not test any of them yet. But if you are
> > interested in 2.6 kernel-images for m68k, please go ahead, test, and report
> > back. They will probably not work yet on macs (keyboard is not supported?),
> > I haven't tried on atari myself, and I did not have much luck on amiga yet.
> > There might be problems with the .config, so please send patches if you are
> > missing a driver, so I can update the config.
>
> 	On my IIvx, I get:
>
> Read 1976577 bytes for segment 0, requested 1976577
> .Read 116944 bytes for segment 1, requested 116944
> Unsupported backward seek in module gunzip (bufstart=2097152, dstpos=0)
> Error:
> Failed to seek to segment 2

Until someone can determine why binutils 2.14 and 2.15 are including a
third, empty, non-code segment in the m68k kernel image, you can use this
workaround to remove that segment to make the kernel image agreeable to
bootloaders, but you will need an uncompressed kernel image. See,

http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2004/06/msg00026.html

There's probably a bug somewhere, but I've no idea whether that is bug is
in the kernel build, the bootloader, or binutils.

-F