Re: Installing Debian on an SE/30

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 08:47:28AM -0500, Hank wrote:

> >.
> >
> >Now, of course, it refuses to mount my Debian CD. Maybe I should try a
> >newer CD drive--I'm using an old Sony/Apple 2x caddy loader. Any hints
> >getting it to snag the data from the disc if I mount it on my PPC and make
> >it available via FTP/HTTP?
> >
> You can set up an nfs server and export your cd.
> read man exports
> Then you can mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2 (whatever):/home/cd   or whatever
> But read the FAQ at people.debian.org/~cts for install problems with the
> debian CD. In essence the installer fails to create a /dev/sr0 or a
> /dev/sr1 so that the installer can load a CDROM device. If you'll follow
> the FAQ's, you can get it up and running.

Thats not correct, the installer does create all devices, only the
root.image that the initial installer uses does not contain those devices.
So if you want to access the CD after installation, everything should work
fine. If you need it during installation, you have to create those devices
manually or used fixed boot-floppies. But who needs a CD for installation
anyway ;-)

Christian