Re: 68k or m68k port status

On Wed, 2003-07-09 08:52:49 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann <ij@spice.cologne.de>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20030709065249.GL998@spice.cologne.de>:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:23:26AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-09 00:22:04 +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be>
> > It would be *really* cool to have some Debian Text Centre. I know that
> > there are autobuilders available for all architectures, but they
> > fullfill a different need (-> a hopefully stable box to compile all the
> > userspace). But that's only half of the truth. We also need some boxes
> > running the bleeding edge stuff to recognize risig problems _early_.
> > I could basically give some machines for such a Test Centre, but
> > unfortunately, I don't have a place to put them to, nor do I have power
> > and appropriate connectivity.
> > Maybe some university could offer some room in some dark cellar?!
>
> The problem is not to have lots of machines (I have as well two machines
> standing around), but to have people who are doing the testing.
> Kernel testing is not something you can do safely from remote sites, but
> where you have to sit in front of the machine in case of emergency...

Well, you can hit a box quite good from remote, except for the keyboard
driver.

Main problem is to have remote power-down / power-up capabilities as
well as remote reset switches. For reference, I'm working on a low-cost
version for that. Unfortunately relays and the power jackets are what
makes up the greatest part of all costs:-( The "logical" parts are quite
inexpensive:)

While the logical parts are that cheap, one could even think about
modding some keyboards to wire these directly to the keyboard matrix
controller. Then, you'd even remotely use the keyboard (yes, a virtual
keyboard capable console server would do that in a more easy manner, but
it'll cost price *= 50 ...)

> I have an A3000 as my main television with my PicassoIV/PalomaTV combo... I
> really would like to have a driver to use PalomaTV with Linux, but that´s
> not possible atm. I can´t program the driver myself although I have best
> contacts to the people who made the card... the A3000 is simply to slow with
> its 030/25 and its 12 MB of Ram, so that installing woody would take a two
> weeks time because of constantly swapping (dpkg will use approx. 20 MB)...
> So, I fall apart as a kernel tester...

I do have some Am386 with 4 or 8 MB of RAM and it's, well, slow, but
working:)

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));