Re: 68k or m68k port status

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 05:17:23PM -0400, John Klos wrote:

> Is one of the goals, stated or otherwise, of Debian to produce a
> consistent source tree which is the same version across architectures?

Debian packages for all arches are built from the same source. For a package
to propagate from unstable to testing, it has to be built on all (currently)
11 arches and have no serious bugs. For a package to be part of a Debian
release, it has to be in testing at the time of the release. So I guess the
answer is yes.

> If so, maybe there aren't that many m68k related problems.

Oh no, there are. Mainly gcc-3.3 bugs, which seem to miscompile some
packages, which in turn make those unstallable, which in turn make the build
of other packages fail before the build even starts. Check the failed build
pages on crest and start fixing those gcc bugs. But then this is all for
testing, and probably not many people are running testing on m68k.

> I suppose most of the work is going on in the architecture neutral parts
> of Debian?

Depends on how you define architecture neutral. If package building on 11
arches is arch neutral or adding support for 11 arches to the
debian-installer, then yes. I think only documentation is really arch
neutral, but I have no idea how much work is done there.

Christian