Re: X Problem

Op ma 24-02-2003, om 15:57 schreef Lincoln Rutledge:
> Howdy,
>
> My install of 3.0r0 is almost complete, but I am still having a couple
> of problems.  I'm using a Quadra 610 w/ 1gb SCSI drive and factory
> everything else, extended keyboard and 1 button mouse.
>
> Got the /dev/adbmouse and BusMouse settings, and set XkbDisable so that
> Xkb keyboard extensions are off.  Also set Fbdev as the server.  But
> when running X, my keyboard is still not working properly.  I can't use
> shift+pgup or shift+pgdn, and the letter "a" is not working.  I know
> it's a setting, as at the console the keyboard is fine.
>
> Did I make a wrong turn during the installation,

Probably not. Since you're not using XKB, the console keyboard mapping
might be used, and if that's not completely correct, that's your
problem.

You might want to look into using xmodmap to fix this (although I never
tested it myself, so I don't know whether it works)

> or does X have to be
> configured manually on Woody?  With Potato it worked out of the box.
>
> Also is it common to have the system completely lock frequently when
> installing packages from cdrom?

Yes, or from any second SCSI-device, for that matter. The SCSI-driver is
not complete perfect; it shows this behaviour when you try to access
more than one device on the SCSI-bus. There's an option to disable some
part of that driver which avoids the hanging part, but which slows
SCSI-access down quite drastically. You might want to use that option if
you need the CD-ROM; otherwise, I'd advice installing from the 'net, if
at all possible.

--
wouter at grep dot be
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a