serial console on Mac Woody?

I've successfully installed Woody on a Mac Quadra 700, and now want to
run the thing as a pure server with no monitor or keyboard. The Mac OS
and Penguin programs seem to boot up reliably, but I've had various
failures during Linux boot which result in no ability to contact the
machine by telnet or other means. I really don't have room to keep a
monitor and keyboard with the machine and don't have any KVM switch.

So I am thinking of trying to configure linux to use a serial port as the
console, and then each time I boot it, run ZTerm or something similar on
my desktop PowerMac to monitor the boot process and deal with any
problems. Do any of you use Macs this way and do you have any advice or
tips on making it work?