Re: Cannot install base system on Quadra 700

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:38:57AM -0500, Bryan Kattwinkel wrote:
> on 1/31/03 8:15 AM, Bryan Kattwinkel wrote:
>
> Two more questions: 1. How do I get Linux access to my Mac HFS partition
> -- an entry in /etc/fstab and a mount command?

Yes, the mount is -t hfs; you can make it automount in fstab if you want.

> 2. What are the advantages of Woody vs. Potato on a Quadra? I started
> with Potato because the docs I was reading said it was current, but later
> I discovered that Woody became "stable" about 6 months ago. If I'm going
> to switch I think I should do a clean install now rather than an update
> later.

If you will be running X, the woody version is much improved,
well speaking from powerpc experience; that may not really be
true on m68k. Still, the new X is much more modular; there may
be advantages.

Of course the software is all about 3 years newer in woody
than potato ...

And NO, the easiest way to upgrade is with apt-get dist-upgrade.
There's no need to re-install. Debian's upgrade system is tight
and executes extremely well. It has absolutely no similarity to
the upgrade process that comes out of Redmond.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003