Re: Exporting my CD-ROM to another machine?

Lincoln,

     You know, I bet you're right. I don't know why it didn't occur to me
to just copy the CD-ROM to the HD and export that directory!

     I will try that as soon as my Debian reinstall is finished, was still
having network problems where my solutions had gotten so convoluted that I
finally just gave up and am starting over. Someone on the list suggested
that I needed to have MacTCP on the MacOS side of things already activated,
and so I got MacTCP going on the Mac and am doing another install for
Debian.

    But you are right, I am trying to upgrade my Next box via the CD-ROM on
the Quadra. I have a Next box "CD caddy" on order, but otherwise have no
way to use the CD-ROM in the 2nd hand Next box I have.

Thanks,

George

                      Lincoln Rutledge
                      <lrutledge@fairfield        To:       George Bingham/Lenexa/IBM@IBMUS
                      .lib.oh.us>                 cc:
                                                  Subject:  Re: Exporting my CD-ROM to another machine?
                      01/21/03 07:38 AM

George,

About a year ago I was trying to do the same thing.  NFS, however, is
not set up to manage properly mounting a CDROM.  Or, at least, it wasn't
last year on an i586 machine with kernel 2.4.~5 or so.

I was trying to do a net install from a mounted cdrom on my laptop (is
this what you're thinking?).  I ended up exporting a directory on my
hard drive and copied the installation media into that.  I could start
the install from the exported CD, but it would error out pretty quickly.

The man page said that CDROMs aren't supported.  I believe some code
needs written to create a buffer to read chunks from the CD into, and
then transmit NFS requests from the buffer.  No one has been interested
in beating that horse.

Check out the man page or go to the project home page to check it out
though, hopefully time has marched on and I'm wrong :)

Lincoln