Re: quadra 950 & X

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:21:48PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, R.A. wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've been trying to setup XFree86 on my Quadra 950, but so far, this
> > is what I get after a "startx":
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid Argument)
>                              ^^^
>
> You're giving your X server too much information ;-)
>
> The screen parameters cannot be set from within Linux/m68k on Macs. Thus,
> the X server needs to use whatever is 'current' when starting. To do this,
> you should make sure there's no mode-definition in your
> XF86Config-4.

He has a : Modes "default"

> Also, try to avoid using DefaultColorDepth.

I disagree here, I think you have to supply a DCD, just make sure you picked
the right one. Is your display set to 256 colours when you boot into Linux?

In case you are running potato, did you run xserver-configure? It should be
run when you install X, if not, try to run it again. It basically just
copies the example config file, but AFAIR this should do it. And it also
tells you about the two things you might have to modify, mouse and
DefaultColorDepth (and the keyboard?).

Christian