Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 08:43:19PM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:
> New information about the problem I am having
> initializing and activitating a swap partition.
>
> Turns out, even if I tell the installer to skip the
> swap partition because I have so much RAM, the
> installer kicks me back to the beginning installation
> screen.  In other words, I can't get past the swap
> installation question.

If you tell the installer to skip the swap step, it is not actually
executing anything related to swap AFAIK. So I don't think its the "swap
step" that stops you. Can you show us an:
 fdisk -l /dev/sda (if sda is your harddisk) and tell us which partition is
what.

> Another thing:  I didn't realize that debugging
> information was sent to console screen 3.  Repeated
> over and over is...
>
> "dbootstrap[122]: mount: Mounting /dev/sr0 on /instmnt
> failed: No such file or directory"
>
> Strange...the CDROM drive is recognized by the kernel
> during the initial boot.  But then, searching through
> /dev, I found that device sr0 does not exist.

Does it exist in /target/dev?

> Directory "/instmnt" does exist so that's not a
> problem.

Are you trying to install from CD?
Did you tell the installer to use sr0 and not scd0?
Do you have a scd0 device? On my (i386) box sr0 is a link to scd0, try
creating that (if you install from a CD, where did you get woody on CD?).
What is the last message on console 3 (and 4!) when you get kicked back to
the beginning of the installation, ie what is the installer trying to do?

Are you sure you have a fully functioning CPU (where are the maxperts when
you need them...)?

Christian