Re: System 7.6 on a Mac-IIci

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 04:33:29PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I don't think 7.6 and 7.6.1 are compatible with 68030's.

Much more important is, what does he want to install on his whopping 80MB
harddisk, my Handspring has more memory...

> >> Well i have 80MB hd and i'd have to install debian, so the littler size
                 ^^^^
> >> free space the better...

80MB including MacOS? Maybe if you use memdoubler and can get MacOS down to,
say -20MB, better -120. Woody will be very unhappy with anything less than
100MB, and even potato will not feel very comfortable, although you maybe be
able to just install the base system (that was around 20MB?). But hey, we
have linux running on toasters, why not on a mac without a harddisk?

Seriously, you might be better off if you port one of the floppy based linux
distributions to m68k, not that the mac will boot from floppy, but
linuxrouter (on i386) can boot from one or two floppy disks, I guess if you
give it a small harddisk to live on, it would be pretty happy.
Or get a used IDE disk, 1GB if you can get it, 4GB, you name it, for just a
few bucks. And while you are at it, 8 or 16MB of memory might work, but are
not really fun (especially when you do not even have the swap space...)

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato