Re: Sentris 650 serial ports

> > There really is no error message.  dmesg reports ttyS0 and ttyS1 both
> > of UART type undefined.  I usually use minicom to test modems.

It's a setserial bug, uncritical for serial operation on m68k. Submit SCC
detection patches to the setserial author please. Blabbing about problems
with the 'undefined' serial here won't do anything beyond pointing out you
don't understand the problem.

Reading back the list archives here and on linux-mac68k you'll see that
minicom is known not to work with Mac serial ports, and that no one so far
bothered to find out why.

> What version of Penguin are you using to boot with?  Penguin 18 has a
> Serial tab to preconfigure the ports.  After the system boots check
> dmesg for messages indicating that the kernel could access the ports.
> On my Quadra 950 I get the message:
> z8530: Serial devices not accessible.  Check serial switch.
> I'm not sure what switch its talking about, and haven't bothered to

That's a control panel used on IIfx and related hardware to set the SCC
IOP to pass through access to the SCC. The name of the control panel was
Serial Switch IIRC, hence the message.