Re: Potato Installation guide

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:40:39PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> macinstall-floppy-hfs.img is a raw HFS image file that was used to
> temporarily store install files on a HFS filesystem in order to convert
> them between various encodings. It serves no other purpose. The
> Install.sit archive originally refered to in the old install guide has
> been discontinued.
> Please don't mention this file, it should disappear from the mirror
> anyway. Christian, can you make sure this doesn't get included into the
> upload anymore? Or in case the CD scripts need it, tell the CD people to
> delete it afterwards.
What is macinstall-floppy-hfs.img good for then? Nothing? I only see several
things to be copied onto it, but nothing back. Was the plan to use this for
the CD creation? Or to "sit" it so that mac people only have to download
this plus the base? I remove it for now, but somehow I am missing the sense
in here. Added a macinstall.tgz instead (is there a tar for Macs?). I
changed a few things in debian-mac.txt, please have a look at my changes,
fill in the info needed sections, but at least we have _something_ now.

The next step would be to merge all those files into one, with subarch
specific things for partitioning, supported hardware etc only. The rest of
the installation workthrough should be nearly identical. If I knew a little
about sgml, I might start with this, so if nobody jumps in, this will
definetely happen _after_potato, could be put on the web then and you people
can work more closely together with the documentation group in debian-cd and
debian-boot.

Christian