Re: Potato boot floppies on Mac getting "invalid compressed format"

"Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 11:15:29PM -0700, Eric Kurnie wrote:
> > After searching the archives I found someone else that encountered the same problem, but nobody followed up with a solution, so I thought I'd ask:
> >
> > I tried both the "macinstall.tgz" from ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-m68k/current/ and also the 'mac' directory from the same place. In both cases whenever I try running Penguin-18 with the "linux" kernel supplied I get the following message:
> >
> >      GUnzipping Root:install:mac:linux
> >      .
> >      invalid compressed format (err=2)
> >      Error:
> >      Unable to read exec header from kernel file (sread error)
> Hmm, when I try to boot my amiga with this kernel image, I get:
> Compressed image too large! Aborting.
>
> Is this equivalent to your error code?
>
> Seems we have a problem, Michael?
>
> I only wonder what all the mac people who tested the install did. Did you
> all use a different kernel image? Maybe somebody can build a working kernel
> image? Preferably 2.2.10, everything else requires major hacking on the
> boot-floppies (it might work to use a newer source, but the package must be
> named kernel-image_2.2.10-*).
>
> Christian

I didn't bother with the macinstall.tgz file.  I just downloaded the
following files:

ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-m68k/current/mac/Penguin-18.hqx
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-m68k/current/mac/linux
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-m68k/current/mac/root.bin

I then uncompress the Penguin-18.hqx file.  Run Penguin-18 and at the
Kernel tab select linux for the kernel file, root.bin for the Ram Disk
file, check the Ram Disk checkbox.  Go  to the Options tab and insert
root=/dev/ram in the Command Line box.  Select the OK button.  Hit
command-B and watch linux boot.  I have a DSL link to the Internet so I
get the rest of the install right from debian.org via http.  I don't
know how well the install works if you don't have working ethernet and a
fast link to the Internet.

--
Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org

P.S. I'm running behind on my 2.2.16-m68k testing.  I hope to have
working kernels for Mac, Amiga, and HP9000/300 for download by 2 July.