Re: Xwindows for debian 2.0 m68k wanted

Gord Nevin <gord@yknet.yk.ca> writes:

> Hi folks:
>
> I've just successfully installed debian 2.0 m68k on my SE/30, and I have
> been searching the net for a version of xwindows that would work, to no
> avail.  I would appreciate if anyone could direct me to the proper
> version, download site and/or installation instructions.
>
> Just a note:  I had to uninstall Ram Doubler in order to start the Linux
> installation, so I'm down to 8mg of real RAM, hopefully there is a
> version of X that will run in this configuration.
>
> Thanks in advance

You will need more virtual ram to actually use X, but thats no
problem. The Debian installation should have requested you to use a
swap partition and if you didn´t initialise one, you should do so
now (man mkswap and man swapon and man fstab). With 8 Mb ram, I would
suggest a 16 to 32 MB swap partition. Maybe even more if you want to
use gimp a lot.

For your X try "apt-get install xserver-fbdev". You will also need a
windowmanager, some fonts and others. Namely (from memory) you should
install xbase, xbase-clients, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-scalable,
xserver-fbdev, afterstep or fvwm or fvwm2 and their dependencies
(apt-get will do that for you).

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin