Re: NEWS for debian-boot

On Jan 17, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> I understood Chris was going to set up m68k in general. There's no
> way to boot Ataris from CD (as far as I know), and Macs would be
> possible to boot from CD but none of the m68k maintainers knows how
> :-)

That's correct, there's no point in making separate CDs for Mac, Atari
and Amiga.  It may be possible to boot from CD on these platforms, but
at least on the Amiga there are a lot of things that won't work if you
boot from CD (some devices need to be pre-initialized, the bootloader
requires the ROM patches to be loaded, etc.).  [My understanding on
the Mac is that you can copy a System Folder onto the CD image to make
it bootable.]  Plus we'd need licenses for AmigaOS and MacOS.  Bottom
line is bootable isn't going to happen.

> The m68k buildds don't do non-free and possibly non-us IIRC. Keeping up with
> main is quite enough.

It would be nice if the buildd at least kept up with non-us (I
couldn't care about non-free except possibly xv... and with eeyes and
the GIMP available nobody should need xv anymore).

Chris, now mirroring slink up to most of main/binary-m68k/editors/
|        Chris Lawrence       |              The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>  |    http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.   |            Watch Babylon 5 on TNT           |
|  University of Mississippi  |   <*> http://tnt.turner.com/babylon5/ <*>   |