RE: IRQ5 and PPP network activity

>> I had also mentioned getting "unexpected IRQ" messages.
>> These are not as benign as I had imagined.
>> The IRQ 3s on booting don't seem to hurt anything
>
>That's been my experience too.  A dozen or so IRQ 3's in rapid succession
>early in the boot process, and then I never see them again.  Harmless, I
>think.
>
>> however, once I had PPP up and running I was getting IRQ 5s.  After a
>> few of those My Mac would reboot, with the bootup chord & no warning.
>> This happened both during FTP & using Lynx (I don't have X up yet).
>> I using a 2.0.33 kernel dated 12/8/98.  Any suggested alternative?
>
>This has been the real killer for me as well, although I'm not sure
>whether the couple IRQ 5's I get now and then are the problem or merely
>coincidental.  IRQ 5 is definitely related to network activity though, as
>they don't start til I open a PPP connection and cease when I close it.

Just to let you guys know, I run that same kernel here on a Quadra 650
and DO NOT see this behavior.  I have not used PPP, but mine is on an
ethernet using a NuBus Asante based card and Lynx, ftp, telnet, et al
are fine.

And...I also have a Q605, and on that machine the very same kernel fails
in a cascade of IRQs.  On the Q650, it runs all day long with no grief.

Paul