Re: linux dies during boot

Gary Reynolds wrote:
> >ROTFL. Decide what you really have: LC040 (no FPU) or 040?
>
> Apple System Profiler says that I have an 68040 -> no mention of FPU.
> The paperwork that came with my Mac says it is an 68LC040 with FPU.

Sue Apple. The LC040 has a MMU but no FPU. If you need to run
SoftwareFPU
for some apps, or need a special version of spreadsheet etc SW, you have
no FPU -> LC040. Otherwise, 040. With LC040, there's bad ones and good
ones. Apple used quite a lot of LC040, and a lot of the bad ones there
it seems. A certain series of the LC040 mask revisions has broken
microcode for the Line-1111 trap mechanism and breaks all known FPU
emulators.

> >What kernel version, build date, etc.. ??? Tried any recent kernels?
>
> I am unsure, the kernel is simply called 'LINUX' and it was out of the
> 'current' directory on the ftp site, so I guess that is fairly rescent?

Nope, that's ancient.

> >Read the info on http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org, for that matter?
>
> Yep, the whole site.  But I couldn't find any info specific to things
> that might have been overlooked, or trouble shooting for this mac.

ftp://baltimore.wwaves.com/pub/MacLinux/debian-support has a more recent
version of the boot floppy stuff, ../kernels has lots of newer kernels
to try. And as of yesterday, the 'current kernels' page on the web site
linked to a 2.0 kernel built Aug. 30. The boot floppy stuff you have is
late June or so.