Re: Ethernet not working on Quadra 700

>Clark Martin wrote:
>>
>> I have a Q700 I've installed debian 2.1 on.  I set up the built in the
>> Ethernet interface (Sonic) using the installer Q&A.  It doesn't work.  I
>> can't ftp or telnet out or ping in or out.  Ethernet works okay under Mac
>> OS (7.6.1).  I've checked ifconfig and route and things seem okay.  I've
>> fiddled with them some and still no joy.  I have the VBL interrupt option
>> unchecked.
>
>What you can try as a last resort is to run '/etc/init.d/network stop;
>/etc/init.d/network start' a few times. No idea why that would work, but
>it helped others before you.

Is that network or netbase.  'network' just has settings files.  'netbase'
has start and stop as commands.

>And there's always the option to debug the Sonic driver, of course. Use
>the source.

I'm just trying to bring it up for the first time.  I don't want to get
into debugging the drivers, yet.

I tried a test, I tried to ping another machine that was running a program
which reports incoming pings.  No response.

I checked ifconfig and it reports 46 receive packets and 0 transmit
packets.  It continues to report this even after attempted pings both in
and out.

I've also tried using an Asante Ethernet card.  The boot up process
recognizes it but doesn't list a driver.  Anyone know where to get such a
driver and how to install it.

I've installed NetBSD on a couple of machines but just barely got them
working and didn't understand much of what I did.  And what little I
learned there doesn't seem to apply to debiean Linux.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting
clarkm@pacbell.net