Re: growisofs hangs on DD0203

Sorry, I seemed to have forgotten to include some very important
information in the original post.

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 12:28, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> > I have an OptoRite DD0203, and I'm having trouble writing DVD+RWs.
> > dtessier@hobbes dtessier $ growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/media/pics.iso
>
> Quoting http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.html:
>
> "... Unit [Optorite DD020x] seems to fail to resume DVD+RW background
> formatting transparently. Recommendations are:
>
> 	- install dvd+rw-tools 5.15.x or later;
The version should've been the first piece of information that I
provided... I'm running 5.17.4.8.6

> 	- forget all about dvd+rw-format, growisofs will apply initial
> 	  formatting procedure whenever appropriate;
I've tried both with and without dvd+rw-format in between attempts.

> 	- stick to growisofs -dvd-compat ...;
I've also tried both with and without -dvd-compat

> "
>
> > Everytime I invoke growisofs, it goes through the entire writing
> > process, but then it hangs when flushing the cache at the end (before
> > closing the track and the session).
>
> Do you mean it hangs more longer than 10-15 minutes?
I once left it while I was watching a movie (over two hours), and I
event let it go overnight on another occasion.

> > When this problem occurs, I can no longer open the DVD tray
> > until I power-cycle the computer. But once I reboot and popd the DVD+RW
> > back in, dvd+rw-mediainfo still shows it as being blank.
>
> Sticking to -dvd-compat was the only way to produce reliable results.
> Reportedly. A.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try again, making sure to use
-dvd-compat. I'll also try to put in some extra debugging printf's to
try and determine exactly where it's hanging, and I'll let you know what
I find.

Dan