Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

>From: Lourens Veen <lourens@rainbowdesert.net>

>Well, first there was cdrecord, which is GPL. Then DVD writers
>appeared, and someone adapted cdrecord to be able to record to his
>DVD drive, and called it dvdrecord. He didn't make very clear that
>this was a modified version of cdrecord (or at least not clear
>enough as far as Jörg's concerned) which according to Jörg violates
>section 2a of the GPL. Hence his calling it illegal.

WRONG!

There is only one cdrecord source. A reduced version of the source
is available under GPL.

	Cdrecord-ProDVD is now nearly 6 years old!

Cdrecord-ProDVD exists since March 1998 it is about the third DVD writing
software worldwide. It has been written using the DVD-recorder #35.
The first DVD-Recorders have been made by Pioneer in September 1997,
one day after the DVD-R standard has been aproved.

Cdrecord-ProDVD has been available on request for some time as nobody would
spend 15000 Euro on a drive and > 60 Euro for a medium. In the first year,
Pioneer did build only about 2 units per day.

On October 16th 2001, I made a Test Version publically available after
Pioneer did start to sell the A03 for less than 1000 Euro. This test version
did allow to run cdrecord -V and thus reverse engineering cdrecord-ProDVD.

On October 22th 2001, a week after the test binary has been available, a
first DVD patch to cdrecord appeared. The illegal version that is found on
RedHat systems is just made by applying this completely outdated patch.

The patch itself is not illegal but it has many bugs. If somebody creates a
binary from it and don't makes clear that this is not the official cdrecord,
then he is violating the GPL.

>In the mean time, Jörg published cdrecord-ProDVD under a proprietary
>license. cdrecord-ProDVD is better tested than dvdrecord, and it
>works with most if not all drives currently on the market, and not
>just the one or two that dvdrecord works with. cdrecord development
>was then suspended for a while, and Andy Polyakov made dvd+rw-tools

Not true too: cdrecord development was never really suspended.

Durig summer 2003, I was mostly working on star and cdrecord development
has been slowed down for a while.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling