Re: Dual format DVD burner drive problem

On Monday 15 December 2003 05:53, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> > These errors are typical of the burned DVD+RW from other drives
> > as well. The media can be erased and then reused.  I have
> > confirmed that the media is usable in another drive.
>
> So it can't read media recorded in *other* recorders either, not
> only own media. At the same time *other* units can read media
> recorded in it. Isn't it a definition of broken unit?

The drive CAN read media from other recorders just fine.  The
messages are typical of the defective recorded media when read in
other drives.

> One thing comes to mind. It's possible that Nero applies OPC,
> Optimal Power Calibration procedure even to DVD+RW, which might
> do the trick. Note that OPC is defined in DVD-dash context only,
> but there is a chance that some firmwares support or even require
> it even in DVD+context. To figure this one out try following:
>
> - save attached program in dvd+rw-tools source catalog;
> - compile it with 'g++ -o opc opc.cpp';
> - execute './opc /dev/dvd' with DVD+RW media in;
> - *without* reloading media, save output from 'dvd+rw-mediainfo
> /dev/dvd verbose' and send it to me;
> - *without* reloading media, perform a recording with growisofs;
>
> Do not treat attached program as an extra "tool," but as
> disposable code snippet. A.

I will try it tonight.  I have to go to work at the present time.
But OPC could be the problem when burning DVD+RW.  The CDR that I
burned as a test using cdrecord was actually burned OK.  And
cdrecord normally uses OPC at the start of a burn.

Thank you,
James