Re: DVD recording adventures continued

>From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

>> There is another problem with DVD+, it seems that all DVD+ drives not made by
>> Ricoh don't follow the SCSI standards.....

>Special meaning for value of FF in Track Number in Close Track/Session
>command was removed already in MMC-2. At the same time as the field in
>question was extended to two bytes as DVD- permits for over 2000 zones.
>Latter alone means that FF became ambiguous at least in DVD- context,
>which is why special meaning was removed. So that formally speaking it's
>Ricoh which doesn't follow standard, as expecting MMC-3 unit to treat FF
>specially is not exactly appropriate. Vendors are free to treat FF
>specially in CD-R[W] context, for backward compatibility with old *CD*
>recording software, but formally you can't *count* on that. A.

Thank you for this hint, I thought the SCSI standard commitee was following
SCSI standards....:-(

I already heard that the problem occurs when I try to finalize track 0xff
but I thought that the SCSI committee was so clever not to make never
releases contradict older versions of the standard.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling