Plextor-Linux-DMA-problems (was cdrtools-2.01a19 - strange errors)

On 13 Nov, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>>From: Lourens Veen <lourens@rainbowdesert.net>
>
>>On Wed 12 November 2003 11:33, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't remember the version, but I'm quite sure it was a 2.01a*
>>> version.
>>> I'll try to use the driver under Win2K first, to check if it's a
>>> hardware problem.
>
>>Okay. How do you compare the CD to the original? Read it out with
>>readcd and then do a cmp on the images? Or using cmp on the device
>>directly?
>
> His problems are caused by the fact that he did not read README.verify
> and README.copy.

Probably it isn't cdrecord's fault since a
readcd -c2scan
shows a perfect CD.
Now I have disabled DMA for the Plextor drive and now these errors
have gone. So it must be related to Plextor+Linux+DMA .
On my private PC at home (a newer Plextor  48x) I cannot access
the drive at all when DMA is enabled (even a simple 'mount' of an
ISO filesystem hangs) and the kernel log tells about a DMA timeout
error. (The kernel is a recent 2.4.23-rc?)

Has anybody made similar experience and/or knows what to do?
Is this a case for the Linux kernel mailing list?

Thanks for any hints (except abandoning Linux)

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany