Re: trouble with DVD+R

On Friday 07 November 2003 02:46 am, you wrote:

> > > Did you try to access data in another unit? DVD-ROM
> > > would do...
> >
> > I never thought of that.  It turns out that the DVD-ROM in my laptop has
> > no trouble reading the files.  I only get the read errors on my desktop
> > machine, in the drive where I created the disk.
>
> So that the answer to the original question is "no, you do not have
> trouble *burning* DVD+R, but reading it [or at least DVD+R] in burner
> unit." That's basically definition of deficient optical pick-up. Yes,
> you should call your vendor. A.

I took a look at my copy of "Sphere" on both DVD drives and am somewhat
confused.  On both drives I get the IO errors when I cat the files to null,
yet both systems seem to be able to play the movie using ogle.  Does this
make sense to you?  Is there something different about the media or the way
data is stored on comercial movie DVD's that would explain this behaviour?

-steve