Re: Why syslog is not rotating?

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, Reco wrote:

Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:20:51 +0400
From: Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: Why syslog is not rotating?

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 09:04:36 +0200 (IST)
Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013, Sven Hartge wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

My system was continuously on except for very short random periods and
3 weeks on Aug 2013. In contrast, the listing below shows (I believe)
that syslog stopped rotating at 2010.

# ls -gh /var/log/syslog*
-rw-r----- 1 adm 219M Nov  2 21:50 syslog
-rw-r----- 1 adm 2.5K Jun  5  2010 syslog.1
-rw-r----- 1 adm    0 Nov  1 07:50 syslog.1.gz
-rw-r----- 1 adm  661 Jun  5  2010 syslog.2.gz

However:
I checked /etc/cron.daily and did not find entry for rsyslog.
Maybe that's the cause?

On a stock Debian system logrotate is used to rotate rsyslog
logfiles. This is configured in /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog.
Logrotate is invoked at /etc/cron.daily/logrotate.

Now, that listing shows that someone (possibly logrotate) DID create an
empty syslog.1.gz file (on 1st Nov 2013), and that suggests that
logrotate is misconfigured somehow.

Can you please post a contents of /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog?

Reco

Reposting:

----------[Begin: /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog]----------
/var/log/syslog