Re: Distribution and support for Debian-502-i386-netinst

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:00:26 +0100, Adam Borowski
<kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
>For example: you download the current point release, burn it to a CD
>preparing to install a bunch of servers the next day...  then suddenly
>there's a new stable update and installation mysteriously fails.
>
>Wouldn't it be better to not delete superseded packages, at least for base?

I would second that. A site I work for was severely bitten by the last
squeeze point release since the kernel ABI changed and the kernel
module udebs (loaded from a rsynced mirror) did not fit the (unsynced)
kernel/initrd from the PXE server any more, resulting in newly
deployed servers not even finding their disks.

Additionally, the new[1] tg3 driver broke compatibility with the tg3
chip built into IBM's HS12. The site in question would have rejected
the last point release for that reason, if it were possible to go
back.

Greetings
Marc

[1] Why the heck do we allow changes like this in stable point
releases?