German Debian (was: Processed: ipv6 release goal)

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:23:31 +0800, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Marc Haber
><mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>> Most web pages are much better translated to German than Debian's are.
>> Unfortunately, Debian is broken beyond repair in regard to German
>> language support.
>
>All of Debian or just the website?

Unfortunately, all of Debian. Translating technical texts from English
to German is controversial at its best, and the Debian translators
have taken my least favorite approach of eliminating all English,
leading to barbarities like "SMTP-Sendezentrale" or
"Sicherheitsgutachten". Debian's German translations feel to me (a
native speaker of German) as babelfished from English.

I used to take a look at Debian's translations of my own package's
Debconf templates, but nowadays I just treat them as just another
language that I don't speak. This approach saves me a lot of grief.

>> Greetings
>> Marc, who has preferred language DE as well and cringes whenever a
>> Debian page comes up and would really love to see those in English
>
>Sounds like Debian has QA issues wrt the website translations. I
>assume that you reported that to the German website l10n folks,
>debian-i18n and debian-www?

They are resistant to advice and think their way is the correct way.
They work with a word list, so it must be correct.

Greetings
Marc