Re: New Debian Derivative

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:51 PM, kumar shantanu wrote:

> I am planning to launch a operating system for a small group of users. I
> obviously want it to be based on debian.

For new projects I think it makes much more sense to do the changes
needed inside of Debian and create a Debian Pure Blend instead of a
Debian derivative:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends
http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

If you still plan to go ahead with creating a derivative, please
review our guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

> My requirement is to create installable CD with custom
> images/names/backgrounds/font etc.

Which other changes do you plan to do? What are your reasons for
wanting to alter the branding?

> Can anyone point me to the right direction. Ideally I am looking for a buid
> script which can take packages from repo and build cd/dvd ?

Others already pointed you to live-build. You could also look at the
tools used for building the Debian Installer and CDs:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller
https://wiki.debian.org/debian-cd

--
bye,