What does Emacs Keybinding theme do?

I'm using GNOME 3.4 on sid, and I have two small questions regarding
keybindings:

1. In "Advanced Settings" -> "Theme" -> "Keybinding theme", I changed my
theme to "Emacs", but I didn't find anything difference.  (I tried to
press "Ctrl+a" on the search area of "Activities" and Nautilus, but both
of them do not behave like `beginning-of-line'.)

2. In "System Settings" -> "Keybord" -> "Shortcuts" -> "Navigation", I
changed "Switch applications" from "Alt+Tab" to "F9", but it didn't make
any difference.  If I change it to "Ctrl+F9", it's ok.  Why?

I have searched on Google and help.gnome.org, but they didn't help.  Can
I get a pointer to information on them?

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/