Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
> This should probably then move to Debian-Project?
>
> On 07/21/2010 11:31 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 05:34:27PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>>

>>> I think that what we need is Debian Blends that include official backports.
>>> This, no other distribution proposes yet.
>>>
>> IMHO this is worth another thread how to make Debian more attractive for
>> users ...
>>
> The computing world have become such complex, that we are all mere users
> somewhere. So yes, we should think more about our users.

Support of debian is excellent but we are less user friendly than
ubuntu. For isntance the bug sytem could be made simplier for joe
simpler user, using an http interface than reportbug-ng (what should
be installed by default for your desktop user) or even mail. I think
having a simple bug report form and wizard  will really help your
user.

Increasing your quality also, will improve your user base.

Last but not least improving the unbuntu to debian package transfert
and therefore the project http://wiki.debian.org/Utnubu
(i plan to package google gears BTW)

Thank you