Re: APT do not work with Squid as a proxy because of pipelining default

* Petter Reinholdtsen:

> I am bothered by <URL: http://bugs.debian.org/565555 >, and the fact
> that apt(-get,itude) do not work with Squid as a proxy.  I would very
> much like to have apt work out of the box with Squid in Squeeze.  To
> fix it one can either change Squid to work with pipelining the way APT
> uses, which the Squid maintainer and developers according to the BTS
> report is unlikely to implement any time soon, or change the default
> setting in apt for Aquire::http::Pipeline-Depth to zero (0).  I've
> added a file like this in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ to solve it locally:
>
>   Aquire::http::Pipeline-Depth 0;

Maybe it's safe to use pipelining when a proxy is not used?  This is
how things have been implemented in browsers, IIRC.

On the other hand, you probably still need to somewhat complex retry
logic, but I guess you need that anyway (if the first download fails,
try without pipelining etc.).