Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> You can't have an open and welcoming environment if you're open to
> people who work to make the environment non-welcoming to others. It
> is, like most things in life, a balance.

Yes. This is why I'm troubled by the blanket welcome to opinions, like
political opinions and religions, without regard to what those opinions
direct people to do.

There are some hateful religions and political opinions out there, which
are significantly at odds with an open and welcoming environment, and I
don't think the Debian Project should be welcoming to those.

We should welcome every person, but not every opinion.

--
 \      “[I]t is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he |
  `\                thinks he already knows.” —Epictetus, _Discourses_ |