Re: The future of BabelBox

Hi there!

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 07:42:32 -0600, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> (03/07/2012):
>> Quoting Luca Capello (luca@pca.it):
>> > I would like to import the current code into a Git repository and
>> > then add all the changes, but I was wondering if such a code is
>> > already available somewhere.  I quickly looked through the web
>> > interface of the SVN d-i repository [7], with no success.  Any clue?
>>
>> As we  briefly discussed yesterday, of there is nothing in D-I VCS,
>> then it's nowhere else and what's linked on the wiki, plus your
>> changes, is probably the most recent version.
>>
>> If, at some points you're wondering about credits forthis stuff, I can
>> take one part of the blame, a lot goes to Frans Pop later on and I'm
>> less sure for the rest. Maybe the wiki page history can give clues.

Thank you, you know how much I care about credits, so both the tarballs'
ownership and the wiki page were useful, thanks.

> Also, while we're talking VCS, there are many git repositories in
> addition to the monolithic svn repository (which holds a few things,
> like translations and the installation manual IIRC), you probably want
> to push babelbox in a new d-i git repository.

This was my intention, so... done:

- the Git repository is d-i/babelbox.git [8]

- [hooks]
    mailinglist = debian-installer_cvs@packages.qa.debian.org
    replyto = debian-boot@lists.debian.org
    cia-project = debian-installer/babelbox

- the master branch is where I imported the three versions I found,
  i.e. etch from Christian [9], lenny from Frans and squeeze from
  Alexander

- the debian branch is where Didier already started the Debian
  packaging

[8] <http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/babelbox.git;a=summary>
[9] <http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/pub/etch/babelbox/babelbox.tgz>
[10] <http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/pub/lenny/babelbox/babelbox.tgz>
[11] <http://d-i.debian.org/babelbox/babelbox-squeeze.tgz>

My plan is now the following:

a) test the current status against squeeze and fix whatever is needed,
   i.e. what Didier and I spotted during FOSDEM 2012 and OpenSourceNow
   2012 on the Debian Events Box [12]

2) update the current status for wheezy, i.e. what I modified for the
   RMLL 2012

3) finish the packaging with the *default* options

4) start to allow customization via debconf

5) squeeze-backports package

6) bring back some previous details dropped over time, like the sounds
   for automatic opening of a GNOME session and a nice "welcome" message
   in the relevant language [13][14], obviously configurable...

[12] <http://bugs.debian.org/680318>
[13] <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBoxOrig>
[14] <http://www.perrier.eu.org/debian/voices/>

However, please note that I am not promising that I will do the above in
a short time frame (DebConf12/13 and Real Life™ stuff as well...).

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca